It’s been a long day. I am sitting on the ferry back to Nova Scotia, and then home to Ontario. Yesterday was spent driving from St. John’s to Port aux Basques.
It was a fairly awful drive. We made one side trip up to Carbonear, but only added a few new species for my provincial list (Greater Scaup and Red-breasted Merganser). Throughout the day we were bombarded my snowy conditions, including whiteouts at times. Once we arrived to the west coast it was even worse, with high winds making the drive very slow.
We had planned on doing some night skiing at Marble Mountain, but they were closed for the evening due to an upcoming race. So, that made our decision to head to the ferry and take the overnight boat.
Unfortunately due to weather delays we were stuck waiting for several hours and didn’t end up leaving the dock until about 4am. This time we decided to go the cabin route so that we could sleep in actual beds. It was actually quite comfortable accommodations, but due to the weather it made for a very bumpy ride. I didn’t need to reach for the barf bag, but it was pretty tricky to fall asleep.
Now it is back to Ontario where there are lot’s of rarities throughout the province that I still need to see!